If there is a deficiency of vitamin B12 in a pregnant woman, then the child growing in her stomach may have a neural tube defect. Due to deficiency of Vitamin B12, oxygen does not reach the nerves properly, hence many symptoms related to nerves appear.
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency: All kinds of nutrients are needed to run the body. Some vitamins have an important role in these. Vitamin B12 is extremely important for the body as it makes up the RBCs in the blood. Only RBC takes oxygen and carries it to every part of the body. Along with this, Vitamin B12 helps in fulfilling the function of the central nervous system of the brain. Not only this, Vitamin B12 plays an active role in the synthesis of DNA and in making many types of enzymes. That is, if there is a deficiency of vitamin B12 in our body, then there will be a lack of oxygen in the blood and when oxygen does not reach the veins, it will start to relax. In this way it can be understood how important Vitamin B12 is for us. But the problem is that most people in India are deficient in Vitamin B12.
In a research paper of NCBI, it has been said that deficiency of Vitamin B12 in India has taken the form of endemic i.e. locally epidemic. Research has shown that vitamin B12 reaches the body mainly through non-veg, but most of the population in India is vegetarian and those who are non-vegetarian also do not eat it regularly. This is the reason why vitamin B12 deficiency has taken the form of a local epidemic in India. Although there are many vegetarian foods in which vitamin B12 is present in sufficient quantity, but due to improper eating habits, there is deficiency of vitamin B12. In this research, it has been told that 47 percent of the people in India have severe deficiency of Vitamin B12, while only 26 percent of the people were found to have the right amount of Vitamin B12.
These dangerous signs are seen due to deficiency of Vitamin B12.
1. Fatigue and weakness in the organs – According to the British Health website NHS, if there is a deficiency of vitamin B12 in the body, oxygen reaches very little in the different parts of the body. Because of this, due to less oxygen running in the veins, every part of the body starts breaking down. There will always be headache and tingling will be felt in the feet. There will be a lot of weakness.
2. Neurological Changes-Since oxygen does not reach the nerves properly due to vitamin B12 deficiency, many symptoms related to nerves appear. In this, the vision starts decreasing with the eyes. Memory starts getting weak. There is a prickling feeling in the body. Due to the weakness of the nerves, the control over the body starts decreasing. The nerves of the feet start getting damaged due to which tingling occurs.
3. Infertility- If there is severe deficiency of Vitamin B12, sometimes it can also lead to infertility. Women may have difficulty in conceiving.
4. Birth Defect- If there is a deficiency of vitamin B12 in a pregnant woman, then the child growing in her stomach may have a neural tube defect. In this, a disorder can arise in the child from birth itself. Due to this, the spinal cord does not develop properly in the child and it also affects the brain.
5. Stomach cancer- If vitamin B12 deficiency has reached a serious condition and is not treated for many days, then in this condition pernicious anemia can occur. After having the disease of pernicious anemia, its own immune system starts damaging healthy cells. In this situation, the risk of stomach cancer increases.
Read this also- This herbal tea is a surefire attack on diabetes-blood pressure, a panacea for women, here’s how to make it
Read this also- If good cholesterol increases, LDL will automatically come out of the arteries, these 4 foods will become its time, this is how it will be included in the diet
Tags: Health, Health tips, Lifestyle
FIRST PUBLISHED : April 20, 2023, 11:45 IST